Dr. Robert Parr began Gilead Baptist Church in 1941 in Detroit. During the 1950’s when the population was shifting away from downtown, Dr. Parr moved the church to Allen Park where he served until his death in 1964.
Dr. J. Thomas Downs followed Dr. Parr as the next pastor of Gilead. It’s bus ministry was known nationally as one of the strongest and progressive of its kind and thousands of children were introduced to faith in Jesus Christ through ‘The Big Blue Bus’ ministry. Dr. Downs also began a mission’s philosophy that emphasized supporting national pastors in their native countries. The church outgrew its Allen Park location by 1973 and moved to Taylor. In Taylor, the church focused on ministering to the family. It was here that Baptist Park School (K-12), Daycare and Preschool were established in 1974.
After the health of Dr. J. Thomas Downs failed in late 1986, his son, Rev. Thomas R. Downs, was called into leadership. Because Pastor Tom had a strong desire to serve God and a specific burden for the ministry at Gilead, he was uniquely qualified for the position. His ministry is marked by his genuine love for people and his passion for communicating God’s Word in an understandable and encouraging fashion.
By God’s amazing grace, Gilead is a dynamic ministry made up of a diverse congregation. We focus on living out the grace of God that has been richly poured onto our lives. Our warm and friendly atmosphere makes just about everyone feel welcome. The worship services, programs for all ages, small groups and Growth Track give many opportunities for spiritual growth, ministry involvement and fellowship.
Those who desire to worship Jesus Christ, be guided by the teaching of His Word and grow in the faith can find a home here. We invite you to join us!