Introduction – Whatever affliction we suffer in life, Christ is the only sufficient cure.
I. The place and problem – vv. 1-5
- Jerusalem at a religious feast (Sabbath)
- Sheep gate pool of Bethesda (Mercy)
- Impotent: blind, lame and paralyzed
- Legalism lottery loser – 38 years
II. The inquiry and miracle – vv. 6-9
- What do you want?
- His handicap
- Trapped in a cursed body
- Trapped in isolation/circumstances
- Trapped in superstition
- Trapped in unbelief/doubt
- Christ orders him up to walk
III. The quarrel- vv. 10-13
- Breaking man’s law
- Who said? Not who healed?
- Don’t know Him? He knows me!!! – Galatians 4:8-9
IV. The Christmas miracle – vv. 14-16
- Found in the temple – worship – thanksgiving
- Stop serving sin – law – superstition
- His testimony – Jesus that made me whole
- Their hatred for good
Conclusion – Recognize and celebrate that Christ is the cure for all the handicaps of our soul.